Friday, March 30, 2018

Alpha Legion: Painting 3 - Weapon Details

Due to an unfortunate miscalculation, the blend of blues, greens, and metallics I mixed for the base color of my models has dried out. Fortunately I think I have found a suitable replacement. In the meantime, though, I have been finishing up the models that were already painted, and starting on the Destroyers (Devastators) using the Necron Tesla carbines. So, on to weapons details.

Image result for necron


First, some examples from the near-completed Headhunters (Sternguard Veteran) squad. The plasma gun coils are painted using a basecoat of Caliban Green, then each coil is carefully painted with Warpstone Glow, and then individually painted with Moot Green. Finally, the plasma coils are washed with Waywasher Green glaze to give them a super-injection of green, and then washed Biel-Tan Green wash to darken the green in the spaces between the coils. The green glaze was also applied to the forward exhaust vents (or whatever those are) on the front of the gun.


There's not too much interesting to say about the bolters wielded by each of the Headhunters, but I chose red (Khorne Red, then Evil Sunz Scarlet) so that there is a little bit of distinction from the blues and greens, and to match the eye lenses. The picture below also shows the decals that I have applied to the first squad from the Forge World Alpha Legion transfer sheet.


For the Destroyer Tesla Carbines, almost the entirety of the weapon is painted with Leadbelcher. The coils are then painted like the plasma gun: Caliban Green, and Warpstone Glow. Instead of lining up the Moot Green over each individual coil, though, I instead drybrushed it over those areas, finishing with the Biel-Tan wash over the coils. I also washed the upper and lower barrel with Biel-Tan, just into the corners, to give a green glow-from-within feel. Once some Nuln Oil wash is used to darken up the rest of the Leadbelcher, I'm hoping these will look ominous.


Finally, I wasn't quite able to help myself getting some of my HQ models built and parts of them painted. It provides a little break from trying to make squads look exactly the same and put a little more uniqueness into the model (though not too much - everyone needs to look like Alpharius). One part that I am proud of so far is the xenophase blade taken from the Deathwatch kit. For this, I tried a technique featured on Warhammer TV for Necron weapons. I think it worked very well, and gives an excellent ethereal and ominous glow to the weapon.



 


+++ HYDRA DOMINATUS +++

No comments:

Post a Comment